16-83. M1089 UPPER CONTROL VALVE ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT/REPAIR (CONT)
Dry Cleaning Solvent (P-D-680) is TOXIC and flammable. Wear protective goggles and
gloves; use only in well ventilated area; avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothes, and do
not breathe vapors. Keep away from heat or flame. Never smoke when using solvent; the
flashpoint for Type I Dry Cleaning Solvent is 100 ° F (38 ° C) and for Type II is 130 ° F (50
° C). Failure to comply may result in serious injury or death to personnel.
If personnel become dizzy while using Dry Cleaning Solvent, immediately get fresh air and
medical help. If solvent contacts skin or clothes, flush with cold water. If solvent contacts
eyes, immediately flush eyes with water and get immediate medical attention. Failure to
comply may result in injury to personnel.
Compressed air used for cleaning purposes will not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Use only
with effective chip guarding and personal protective equipment (goggles/shield, gloves,
etc). Failure to comply may result in injury to personnel.
(1) Clean all metal parts with dry cleaning solvent.
(2) Dry all metal parts with compressed air.
(3) Inspect all metal parts for scratches, gouges, nicks, burrs
or excessive wear.
(1) Install preformed packing (1) on plug (2).
(2) Install plug (2) in valve (3).
(3) Install gasket (4) in valve (5).
(4) Install three gaskets (6) in valve (5).
(5) Position valve (3) with valve (5).