24-2. INTERMEDIATE DIFFERENTIAL REPAIR (CONT)
(18) Remove bearing cone (17) from pinion drive shaft (9).
(19) Remove pinion drive shaft (9) from differential carrier
(20) Remove helical driven gear (15) and spacer (16) from
differential carrier (14).
Install thinner spacers to increase preload and
thicker spacers to decrease the preload.
(21) Repeat steps (9) through (15) to determine if preload on
bearing cones is within specifications.
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing compounds
can burn easily, can give off harmful vapors,
and are harmful to skin and clothing. Keep
away from open fire and use in a well-
If adhesive, solvent, or
sealing compound gets on skin or clothing,
wash immediately with soap and water.
Failure to comply may result in injury to
(22) Apply four or five drops of adhesive sealant in 16
threaded holes on hub body (19).
(23) Apply sealing compound to mounting surface of hub
(24) Position ring gear (20) on hub body (19) with 16 washers
(21) and screws (22).
(25) Tighten screws (22) to 85-115 lb-ft (115-156 N·m).
(26) Install bearing cone (23) in hub body (19).
(27) Install thrust washer (24) and slide gear (25) in ring gear