A. Ring Gear Runout:
(1) Attach dial indicator on mounting flange of differential
(2) Adjust dial indicator so pointer is against back surface
of ring gear (2).
(3) Adjust dial indicator to zero.
(4) Rotate ring gear (2); dial indicator should not exceed
0.008 in. (0.020 cm).
B. Ring Gear Backlash:
(1) Attach dial indicator on the mounting flange on
differential carrier housing (1).
(2) Adjust the dial indicator so that pointer is against tooth
surface of ring gear (2).
(3) Adjust the dial indicator to zero.
(4) Rotate ring gear (2) a small amount in both directions.
Dial indicator should read between 0.008-0.018 in.