20-3. CYLINDER HEAD REPAIR (CONT)
(38) Apply a small amount of grease to 12 keepers (26)
(39) Compress valve spring (24) and install two keepers (26).
(40) Perform step (39) for remaining intake and exhaust
valves (21 and 22).
f. Follow-On Maintenance.
Install cylinder head (para 3-6).
g. Shipping and Storage of Reconditioned Cylinder
Holes in top of cylinder head for injectors and internal fuel passage must be kept clean. Any dust, dirt,
or debris in these fuel passages after reconditioning may result in premature wear or damage to
injectors. This could cause poor performance, low power, hard starting, injector seizure, etc. Failure
to comply may result in damage to equipment.
(1) Coat cylinder head with rust preventive.
(2) Cover cylinder head with a shrink type plastic wrap.
Bottom combustion surface must be well protected. Failure to comply may result in damage to
(3) Place cylinder head on wooden pallet and band in place.
(4) Place pallet in stowage area.
End of Task.