13-46. M1088 FIFTH WHEEL ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT/REPAIR (CONT)
(7) Remove retainer (16), spring (17), and stop (18) from
(8) Loosen stop nut (19) on adjusting screw (20).
(9) Remove adjusting screw (20) from plunger (15).
(10) Remove stop nut (19) from adjusting screw (20).
(11) Remove plunger (15) from sliding mechanism (13).
(12) Perform steps (6) through (11) on right side plunger.
(13) Remove four self-locking nuts (21), bolts (22), eight
washers (23), and top plate stopper (24) from fifth wheel
assembly (25). Discard self-locking nuts.
l. Sliding Mechanism Cleaning/Inspection.
Dry Cleaning Solvent (P-D-680) is TOXIC and flammable. Wear protective goggles and
gloves; use only in well ventilated area; avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothes, and do
not breathe vapors. Keep away from heat or flame. Never smoke when using solvent; the
flashpoint for Type I Dry Cleaning Solvent is 100°F (38°C) and for Type II is 130°F (50°C).
Failure to comply may result in serious injury or death to personnel.
If personnel become dizzy while using cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air and
medical help. If dry cleaning solvent contacts skin or clothes, flush with cold water. If dry
cleaning solvent contacts eyes, immediately flush eyes with water and get immediate medical
attention. Failure to comply may result in serious injury or death to personnel.
(1) Clean all metal parts with dry cleaning solvent.